Sunday, February 25, 2007

Some Like It Hot!



...and sour, apparently









I'm the official Martha Stewart wannabe in our family. Just ask my sister. She's the one who loves to tease me by adding the title Aling before my name.

Atchie: Aling Neeneen! Patahi naman ng button sa dress ko.

And it doesn't help that today our cook was on vacation and lunch hasn't been prepared yet.
Yep.
Aling Neeneen.
At your service.

My mom's a great cook. So is my grandma. I don't really cook at home. I know how but I just don't. Today I felt a little adventurous, though, and decided to try and make my first attempt at concoting a Chinese favorite, the Hot and Sour Soup. (I will not be posting the actual recipe since the ingredients of the soup may vary depending on the taster's preference. That and the fact that I didn't exactly follow it.)

Here's what I added in mine:

chicken broth
soy sauce
white vinegar
white pepper
mushrooms of your choice, sliced
young corn, sliced
firm tofu, sliced
chicken, stripped
cornstarch, mixed with cold water
eggs, beaten
chicken powder
sesame oil

***Note: Black vinegar is a much better choice than using both soy sauce and white vinegar.


One of the things I enjoy in cooking, aside from knowing that you can always remedy any mistake you make, is chopping. With this soup, I probably did one too many: shitake mushrooms, button mushrooms, young corn, and firm tofu. (My brothers commented that there was more sahog than broth in the soup.)

But the thing I absolutely love when I do cook is the idea of pleasing my family with something I made from scratch. Mind you, they really are hard to please being such harsh critics and all (well, except for my mom). Which is why I especially love it when they give me that smile of approval.

Today, after handing my mom and dad a bowl of Hot and Sour soup, she said to me, beamingly: Mmmm, pwede na. Masarap! (Aww!)
And my dad: Mmmm. Medyo mapait, ay, maalat. Slurp slurp. Kulang sa asim. Some more slurping. Mmmm. Pwede na. Pwede na magtayo ng restaurant. ---> (Haha! I was half-laughing when he said this.)


I then asked my brothers and sister if they liked it and my dihya teasingly answers: Yuck! Pwe! Kadire!

Thing is, I would have believed him.
If not for that emptied soup bowl beside his plate. ;D

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hahahaha! natawa ako sa "yuck! pwe! kadire!" haha..but i guess ure right, actions speak louder than words, after all.

Anyway, i was gonna comment on the martha stewart thing....i just wanna say that im not surprised. Since high school nakita ko na ung calling mo to be martha when u voluntarily wanted to patch up my tattered cellphone pouch, and returned it to me with a bunch of little tidbits of design that it looked nothing like it was, haha.

It started out as a plain maong-materialed pouch, and it came back to me with plastic stars and silver laces. hahahah.....but funny thing is, i really liked it. Not that i would buy it if i saw it being sold somewhere, but the effort and the thought of you sewing away at my pouch made me see the thought and sentiment you put into it :)

prettyrandomthings said...

HAHAHA!
I can't stop laughing!
I remember that!!!
Haay, memories!
And ginamit mo pa talaga after ko nilagyan ng stars and lace!
Aww, you really are my friend!
Haha :D