Monday, November 27, 2006

Cupcakes vs. Muffins

If cupcakes and muffins were in a fight (well, it could happen..), cupcakes would win hands down.

Most people usually interchange these two baked goodies, probably because of their size, but there actually is a difference between the two.





Cupcakes by Sonja at Serendra Piazza, The Fort.


Muffins are small baked breads which have a totally different texture than that of cupcakes'. They, most often than not, are denser and tend to be less sweet.
Since I'm a chocoholic (and a proud one at that), I usually buy chocolate muffins, but I also enjoy different varieties like blueberry, banana, and Brown Sugar Muffins' orange (which I'm sad to say has been discontinued).
Sure, I like muffins. Give me one and I'd gladly take it. But give me a cupcake? Ahh, that's a different story altogether.

Cupcakes are literally just that-- cakes in a cup. Their batter is the same one used in cakes so they come out of the oven (and into your mouth) airy and soft. They're usually iced and decorated just like you would a normal cake. And come on, just admit it. They're a whole lot cuter than muffins. Right?
















Don't you just love the retro-shabby-chic interior?















I recently discovered Cupcakes by Sonja thanks to my sis-in-law Chiz who knows that I'm a sucker for anything dessertlicious.
Hearing that Ms. Sonja previously worked at the uber-famous Magnolia Bakery in New York, I knew that her cupcakes would be a definite must-try.

We were on our way to dinner one Friday when Elaine and I decided to pass by the shop and sample the cupcakes. What was supposed to be a quick run eventually turned into a photo-op. As we entered, (cue sound: OoOoOooh..) we were like excited lil' kids who couldn't stop giggling. Out came our cameras and we snapped away.

The interior was just perfect. Everything was so retro, from her pink floral and stripes wallpaper to her very vintage-y Smeg chiller.
It's like a scene from Pleasantville, immortalized.

And the cupcakes? I cannot even begin to tell you how lush they were. (When we got home, everyone wanted to have a taste of each one, they were gone in just a few minutes).

The Red Velvet Vixen, most famous in the southern part of the US, is known for its unique yet subtle taste. Although one of the main ingredients is cocoa powder, food coloring is added to make it look red, hence its name. Topped with a cream cheese frosting, the combination was just simply yum.

Vanilla Sunrise tastes just like every other vanilla cupcake. But the difference, from the ones I've tried, is the texture. Ms. Sonja's are without a doubt the softest and although I'm more of a chocolate fan, I definitely didn't mind munching on this one.

Chocolate Surprise would surely delight any chocolate lover. Aside from the moist sponge and the chocolate icing, you would be- yep, you guessed it- surprised to find that there's a chocolate filling for you to enjoy as well.

Pistachio Dacquoise was purely mousse. I liked that it was light and the pistachio flavor was not overpowering.

The Chocolate Cream Pie was Ms. Sonja's take on a chocolate mousse, the authentic kind. The bottom part was a chocolate cookie-like crust, not the crumby type we commonly see in bakeshops (although those are good, too). She added a silky chocolate filling and then topped it with whipped cream.

Melt-In-Your-Mouth Flourless Chocolate. The name says it all. :)

All in all, the mousses were velvety smooth while the sponged ones were so light you will want a second helping. And although it's a bit expensive (prices range from P45 to P100), I wouldn't mind having another cupcake fix.

..Until I move on to cookies, that is. :P















You could almost hear them scream: "Eat me, eat me!"





Clockwise from top: Red Velvet Vixen, Vanilla Sunrise, Chocolate Surprise, Pistachio Dacquoise, Chocolate Cream Pie, and Melt-In-Your-Mouth Flourless Chocolate.

4 comments:

echu said...

see if cupcakes and muffins were fighters...i would think they would be in a different weight class. As you point out, muffins are denser than cupcakes (so they would definitely lose if it was a battle of wits). if muffins were forced to fight cupcakes, they would have to shed a lot of weight. and as we've seen in the recent Grand Finale fight...that could be a real disadvantage. So I guess you were right, cupcakes would win and end muffins career as a fighter. cupcakes would then have all the big endorsements and a motorcade every time he comes come. :P hmmm...i don't think i'll look at cupcakes the same way again...

prettyrandomthings said...

haha. yeah. and pretty soon cupcakes running for office, no?

Lin said...

I'm on the fence on this one, but I'll spare you my lengthy thoughts.

Here's something you might enjoy. It's from a famous cafe in SF:

http://www.sfstation.com/images/articles/46/846b.jpg

Doesn't it look simply delish?

prettyrandomthings said...

yum! now THAT'S a chocolate cupcake. looks really rich-- my favorite kind. haha.