Saturday, November 18, 2006

A Passion For Random Pretty Things

Jill of all trades; Master of none.

It's sad, really.
And I'd like to think I am not one of those people.


Today I got an invite to an afternoon dessert party hosted by Ms. Tina of Taza Platito.
I remember how Elaine, my brother's girlfriend who also happens to share my weakness for anything sweet and delish, texted me about the party a few days back.

Reply. click.
Type type type: Wow! Cool! Yup! Thanks! :)
Send. click.

Took me less than 5 seconds, I think.

The party was set at 4 to 7 p.m. and being the opportunistic dessert freaks that we are, we made sure that we got there early. So I got to Elaine's house, picked her up, and on our way to the party, we couldn't stop rambling on about how excited we were.
Our conversation? 2% penguins and the new 007; 98% desserts.
(What types of cakes was she going to present? How fudgey would her Double Chocolate Chip Fallen Cupcakes be? How different would chocolate tablea taste compared to the usual cocoa?)
Call us dessert geeks, if you will.

We arrived at a quarter past four. Elaine rang the doorbell, and Ms. Tina greeted us then led us to the living room where the party was set up. She introduced us to a few people, one of whom was Ms. Lori, the brilliant food photographer/blogger, and two (or three?) other people whose names I can't remember as I was busy scouting the dessert table. Hehe. (I did take a mental note the second time their names were mentioned.)
Cookies, bars, cupcakes, cakes: chocolate, caramel, coffee, pastillas de leche, cheesecakes, and every scrumptious dessert you or any dessert lover can imagine were served. Elaine and I were like kids in a candy store. No, scratch that. We were kids in a candy store.

So there we were on the table, talking while savoring each bite of our sliced cakes, carefully analyzing the ingredients used, the taste, and the texture of each one. I definitely enjoyed playing dessert critic but what I enjoyed more was listening to these bakers talk passionately about something they truly love doing. I do a little baking here and there but I'm not up to par with these people. (Although Elaine once said that my chocolate cheesecake was one of the best she's tried. Really! Hehe.)
And that sometimes scares me. They've already figured out what they want to do. They already know what their passion is. And they're good at it. Really good.

I know a little bit of everything but I'm afraid to think that I don't exactly excel in one. I like to try things that interest me. I took classes that involved things I love to do but am not necessarily passionate about-- yet. I'm still in that stage where I can't absolutely pinpoint what it is I truly want to do. I guess you can say that I'm an indecisive fool who seems to be on a standstill. But you can't say that I'm not enjoying every minute of it.


So I introduce to you a place where I can share pretty random things that I love.
-- Could be a dessert, a fashion trend, a makeup product, a tourist spot, a piece of art, or a song I can't get out of my head.
So if you ask me what my passion is, I really couldn't say.

But I will tell you this.


It may be random.
But it's definitely purty.


Welcome to my blog.

3 comments:

calypso said...

Oooh fun!! Do you have any pictures?

Having different and/or a lot of interests is not a bad thing. In fact, it's a GREAT thing! It makes you a well-rounded person :)

I love my job right now, but I'm also still holding on to the dream that one day I'll be a pastry chef.. when you figure out what you want, call me and let's start a business together!

prettyrandomthings said...

hey!! i'll add some pics soon:)

aww. yeah. i'll try and remember that. minsan lang kasi may times talaga when i get frustrated, but i try not to dwell on it. i guess you just have to enjoy it, yung process of figuring IT out. and as long as we're happy, right?

wow, pastry chef! we should open a cafe together. half of the place, pwede tayo maglagay ng boutique or whatever, and on the other side, mini cafe. eh? haha. little steps.

umuwi ka na bruha! :P

Unknown said...

I actually think it's really interesting that you know a lot about different things. And actually, I see it as a means for you to really know what you want. After all, the best way to decide and know that u really want or wanna do is through experience diba?

And no ones rushing you :) When the time comes that you have to decide what you really wanna focus on, it'll be a hell of a lot easier because you've already tried it all :) And most of all, you're having fun along the way :)