Friday, October 3, 2008

Paul Newman (1925-2008)

I first learned of Paul Newman in my early teens (I am now 25) while I was reading a feature article on Hollywood Screen Legends. It mentioned quite a few actors and actresses, who were all considered icons by many, but the only 2 people I would still remember from then on were P. Newman and Marlon Brando.
And that would be because I've never seen anyone as beautiful a creature as they were.


Paul Newman.



*Note: I abhor smoking and would never encourage it but I must admit these photos are delovely.









Marlon Brando.

To be honest, I don't really know much about Paul Newman but I've always found him charming and fascinating. (Must be his eyes; Blue Eyes they called him. Eyes are such give aways. And for Mr. Newman, his easily divulged of his good soul.)

I've never really seen a whole lot of his movies. Well, aside from the animated film Cars, the only other movies of Paul Newman's I've watched were Message In A Bottle and Road To Perdition. (Two totally different genres but I enjoyed them nonetheless and I must say, even as a crime boss, Mr. Newman certainly was charming in his roles.)
All I know, from what I've heard and read, is that he was a great actor, a devoted husband, and the founder of Newman's Own.

The next I would see him in is on the television show Iconoclasts wherein two "creative visionaries", as described in its Wikipedia page, discuss their lives, influences, and art. In that episode, P. Newman and his close friend Robert Redford interviewed each other.
Prior to that, I only knew of him as an old crush who was, and is, considered a legend. Watching it, however, I learned that he was more than a celebrity, more than just a great actor. Paul Newman, was a humanitarian*. And that was what I admired most about him. It's not impossible, but surely it's rare to come across a person who is so lucky to be blessed as such and be as kind and selfless as he was.
And as cliche as this may sound, he made me want to be a better person.
*(His company, Newman's Own, donates all of its profits to charity and his camps, Hole In The Wall Gang, continue to help seriously ill children today.)



Paul Newman passed last September 26, 2008. Now, I'm not going to write about his life story or discuss his film works because Wikipedia and IMDB are better sources for that. I write this blog entry because I consider him as an inspiration and I mourn the loss of such an amazing human being. He managed to live a full life while he exemplified the value of generosity, kindness, and of love. He dedicated his life to giving back and for that, he made this world a better place.



Rest in Peace, Mr. Paul Newman. You will be missed greatly.

No comments: