Thursday, April 19, 2007

My Very Own Snoopy

Well, actually, from what we've been told, Doggie (how very aptly named, eh?) is half Poodle and half Japanese Spitz. (We're 90% sure about that..)
But he's no mutt. He's WAY too cute to be called that! :P


I had a dream about him (maybe it was because of all those videos of pet birds and dogs I was watching on YouTube late last night) and in the dream, he just had a haircut and was no longer sporting his usual naturally messy (just like mine!)-- and tangled (yeah...just like mine.)- wavy hair...uhh...fur. (I personally prefer him with longer fur-- Super cutie!)








We got him in 1998 while I was in 2nd Year HS. I remember getting a call from my sister/ brother telling me that they had just bought this cute little beigish puppy from a small pet store in Virramall. And funny thing was, it was NOT planned at all.
They were just there on a Friday night doing an errand when they passed by the pet shop and became smitten with these 2 pups caged near the window. (They had them at "Arf!")
They were arguing which one was cuter-- one was white, the other beige. They finally decided and chose the beige puppy and the rest, as they say, is history.

***Well let me explain as to why he got named Doggie. When he was younger, we were still undecided on what to name him so during the brainstorming process, we called him that temporarily. Well who knew what a smart cookie he was and picked up on it real quick. So really, it wasn't his fault. Nor ours. Well, maybe ours. (This explanation also applies to our Siberian Husky named Husky.)

Doggie was with us for almost 6 years and he was my absolute favorite. Still is.
He's definitely quite a character and we always find it amusing how he has these different kinds of facial expressions (see pics): from indifferent to excited, sad to happy, and even interested to confused. ("Eh?")
He's scared of the candle, loves to chase our pet chicken (who eventually flew over our walls in search of greener pastures), and has a fang bigger than the other (he lost his old one from intensely gnawing on a bone).
He loves, as all dogs do, getting a belly rub and whenever he's hyper, he runs amok around the house and it's always funny to see him stop, catch his breath, and then start to run again.

I especially love it when I'm sitting somewhere giving him a head-and-temple massage and if I stop, he would position his head under my hand as if saying, "Heyyy...!"

I remember one time, I was in our den when I suddenly had an allergy attack and started sneezing nonstop. I think I was on my 15th sneeze when I felt like someone was watching me. Then I noticed something in my peripheral vision and saw that it was Doggie (who came all the way from the kitchen-- I must've been a little loud) standing near the door, giving me this "What's-that-sound-Was-that-you-Are-you-okay-I'm-kinda-confused" look.

Sorta like the one below. (Except his head was tilted a little to his left).
Aww. Cute. :)
Although Doggie's always friendly to us, he definitely enjoys scaring relatives and friends. As soon as he sees an unfamiliar face, he would start barking at them-- get this- while hiding under the cabinet. Someone's not much of a toughie after all.

But he was getting grumpier for a while and had already bitten two of our maids (innocent 'til proven guilty!) so my mom decided it was best that he be given away. And who better to take care of Doggie than our cook who's been bathing and feeding him since he was a pup. (At least I know he's in good hands.)

I was so sad the day he left us especially when he looked real happy and excited because he thought he was going for a short walk outside. I can still vividly picture in my head Doggie walking away. Somehow that day, the house, and everything else, was somber.








Doggie is now in Bohol, (I always knew he loved to travel, walking around the village whenever he got the chance to slip past the driver and the houseboys-- although he never got more than a few yards away from the gate) and apparently, he's always in vacation mode! His temperament has changed and from what I hear, would gladly tag along with any stranger, leash-free!
Definitely a far cry from what we (and our occasional visitors) were used to.

Well, our cook tells us that he's Mr. Popular in their town and loves to play with everyone, and anyone who's willing. And whenever they go to the beach, Doggie would always run excitedly to the water and swim on the shallow area by himself.










Awww...I miss my Doggie.
I'm just glad to know that at least in Bohol, he now has a bigger playground, an even bigger bathtub (although salty), and more than enough poultry to satisfy his inner bully. ;)



No comments: